Throughout my life, I have been blessed with many opportunities to go to concerts, and I have always been mesmerized by them. Not too long ago I was offered this opportunity to work on a food truck that was headed up to Pemberton, BC for a music festival.
Embarking on this journey I had promised myself that whatever the world may bring me along my travels, I wouldn’t deny an adventure to come my way. No one in the world can tell you what may happen tomorrow and I think that’s the joy of life. To taste experience to the utmost, to reach out with enthusiasm and do to without fear for newer and richer experiences to come.
So here went of little miss Sera to the great wide open..
So I found myself on the other side of the country, driving up the North in search of an energetic environment where I couldn’t hear my own voice at times and my own thoughts could be at total inner peace, all while slamming out the most delicious pulled pork sandwiches..
I pulled up to the grounds and and realized that I was surrounded by the mountains, in the woods, and having a very strong presence of the wilderness around me. A weekend full of great jams alongside a sense of peace and tranquility. It sounded perfect to me!
I set up camp and made my way to the truck. I realized that there was a nine other food vendors also working out of mobile units. Though some trucks got lost in the crowd, there were a few that really stood out to me.
The trucks had very simple menus; in many cases, five or fewer menu items seemed to be the theme. They had everything; from organic burgers to vegan and vegetarian cuisine, Thai food, homemade perogies, fish and chips, and tacos (which by the way had to be one of the best tacos I’ve had). I think their shirts alone sold me. Their logo was “taco slayer” but written in the same font the band used. It’s reminded me of my bro.
The festival started on Thursday and then would run till Sunday. I expected it to be busy with organized chaos but this was mayhem. We didn’t stop the whole weekend, which meant 17 hour days. Very little sleep meant not a moment to decompress- but that’s the rush I live for. It’s pure adrenaline that pumps through your veins. I’ve always liked chaos. If you stay one step ahead, it becomes a game. It’s about maintaining quality control, speed, and efficiency- along with the practice of avoiding and kitchen accidents. I would say that it’s safe to write: never trust a chef without a burn marks along his or her arms. Kitchen accidents happen and they’re part of the business. There’s an element of danger, but that’s part of the mayhem and part of the game. The trick is keeping sharp and staying calm regardless of the chaotic environment.
Don't get me wrong fatigue manifested more and more strongly- but there were no murmurs of complaint. Rather we fed off one anothers spirits, knowing we were in this together, united as one. We became ninjas! Sharp, clever and joyfully witty! Ninjas can be witty? right?
Sunday came to an end. Outkast took over the stage and came on with “Sorry Miss Jackson” At that moment, I decided to call my roommate back at home to take a moment with her while joyfully singing along with them,these are the moments I live for. I had completed the job successfully and could celebrate with the ones I love while dancing in a field barefoot with the feeling of grass, wonderful on my feet. It makes the soul feel good!
I said my goodbyes to the community of chefs that I had the pleasure to meet. We couldn't be more thrilled to hug it out after the weekend of madness. We sat down, ate a dirty poutine and a side of beer, embracing every bite.
Walked home to discover that the shower trailer was vacant with no other faces in sight, so I blasted Tom Petty, sang my little pretty heart out and may have taken the longest shower known to man or female. Perfect ending, if I say so myself!
I had camped, listened to fabulous artists, and enjoyed doing something I loved; but what I gained most from this experience was beginning to find myself again. I had gone from being two halves of a whole, to being half, and then slowly learning to be whole again on my own.
I learned so much from all of this and I can honestly say that I will never forget the people I worked so closely with. Music has a way of fixing memories into our minds! And,I love the unpredictability of these food stories that we all have up our sleeve! Regardless if you’re a chef or not food is still something that we all share in common and ever a simple food truck can create a memorable moment that is made to stick with you. It just takes that first bite…
Much love,
Sera xo
No comments:
Post a Comment